Winter Weather Advisory
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on March 13, 2014
Statement as of 4:08 am EDT on March 12, 2014
... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 10 PM this evening to
noon EDT Thursday...
The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory... which is in effect from 10 PM this evening to
noon EDT Thursday.
* Locations... most of Massachusetts and Rhode Island except for
the immediate South Coast. The advisory also includes northern
* Hazard types... rain transitions to snow tonight. A brief period
of sleet and freezing rain is also possible.
* Accumulations... snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches in most
locations. 2 to 4 inch snow amounts are possible north of Route
2. Ice accretion of a few hundredths of an inch are also
* Timing... steady rain will overspread the region from west to
east this afternoon. The rain will change to snow from northwest
to southeast between 10 PM and 4 am. A brief period of sleet and
freezing rain is possible during the transition. Snow showers
will continue Thursday morning before tapering off during the
* Impacts... the main concern is for a flash freeze as temperatures
plummet into the teens and lower 20s. Roads may quickly freeze
over as colder air quickly rushes into the region. A small snow
accumulation may hide some of the ice. The Thursday morning rush
hour may be icy.
* Winds... northwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
* Temperatures... falling into the teens to lower 20s by early
A Winter Weather Advisory is issued when snow and/or ice is
forecast to develop in the affected areas... but accumulations are
expected to be light. Any snow or ice would result in slippery
conditions on untreated roadways and sidewalks. When
temperatures are below freezing... motorists need to be especially
careful on bridges and overpasses where slippery spots can easily