Winter Storm Warning
Expires 2:00 PM EDT on November 01, 2014
Statement as of 3:09 PM PDT on October 31, 2014
... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 5 PM this
afternoon to 11 am PDT Saturday...
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow remains in effect from 5 PM
this afternoon to 11 am PDT Saturday.
* Timing: an early season winter storm will produce moderate to
heavy snow Friday night and early Saturday morning.
* Snow accumulations: 8 to 18 inches above 7000 feet west of
Highway 395 and along the White Mountains... with up to 6 inches
elsewhere above 7000 feet. Below 7000 feet... up to 3 inches.
* Winds: southwest 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Gusts to
40 mph are possible in wind prone locations along Highway
395. Gusts to 60 mph will impact the Sierra ridges.
* Snow levels: 8000 to 9000 feet on Friday lowering to 5500 to
6000 feet by Saturday morning.
* Impacts: slick and snow covered roads for Mono County...
mainly above 6000 feet. This includes highways 203... as well
as Highway 395 above 6000 feet. Snow may lead to the winter
closure of Sonora and Tioga passes.
Conditions can deteriorate rapidly during winter storms... slow
down and allow extra time when traveling. Carry tire chains...
food... water... blankets and a flashlight in your car in case of
an emergency. Check our website at weather.Gov/Reno or listen to
NOAA Weather Radio for updates on this situation.